By Sana Sardar
University students often struggle when it comes to keeping up a healthy lifestyle. Just think about all the deadlines, the exam stress and the packed schedules! And of course, being newly independent can lead to quite some unhealthy forms like ordering pizza everyday, partying all night, and snacking on junk all day long. Well, luckily I’ve outlined a few tips that can help you stay on top of your health game without taking much time away from your university deadlines.
- Lucky for us Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam has a great gym with various classes and sports. Join the gym, attend the fitness classes once in a while, or join a sports team. I promise they’ll make you feel good and active.
- Don’t skip meals. No matter how busy your schedule is always make sure you eat 3 meals a day with snacks in between. If you have long classes and don’t have time to go home in between, make sure to take (healthy) snacks to get some food in you between or during your classes.
- Drink lots and lots of water! Buy a water bottle and take it with you everywhere you go. That ensures maximum water consumption! Stay hydrated!
- Rotterdam has beautiful places to go for a run! When the weather is out and the sun is nice try going to Kralingse Plas for a nice run or even to enjoy a bicycle ride with a beautiful view.
- For snacks, try eating carrots/cucumber with hummus instead of chips. Not only is it delicious, its healthy too!
- Download a fitness app or monitor your health on the iphone health app. That way you’ll stay updated with your daily walking, cycling, running etc.
- Try not to take the tram places and use your bicycle instead! You get places faster and get some exercise along the way as well!
- If you’re not a fan of working out, try to squeeze in some yoga here and there. Yoga helps you breathe better, reduces stress, makes you more mindful and it also makes you a lot happier!
- Ordering pizza everyday is not the best idea. Try to make your own meals and eat salads as a side dish to make meals healthier!
- Try to eat lots of fruits and veggies! Even if they’re not your favourite things to eat, include them in your meal plan wherever its possible!
- Drink hot water with lemon when you wake up in the morning. It not only helps fight infections and keeps away a sore throat but it also keeps your body hydrated.
- Try not to drink too many sugary beverages! Apart from increasing your weight they can also negatively affect your overall health.
- THE HARDEST: Do not eat sugary desserts after every meal. I know it’s very sad! Usually I always give in to this one…guilty!
- Always make sure you get enough sleep. I know staying up late can seem tempting when you’re out partying or even binge watching your favourite series on Netflix but, sleep deprivation can lead to serious health issues both mentally and physically.
All these tips definitely don’t mean cutting out yummy food out of your diet for the rest of your life or having to go to the gym every single day! Everything should be done in moderation. So try to follow these tips and fit them in wherever you can and of course treat yourself every once in a while! Stay healthy guys!