Happy Easter everyone! At ESN Rotterdam, we believe that Easter as any other holiday is a great opportunity to spend time with your loved ones: enjoying delicious food, having fun, and filling the room with joy and laughter. That is why we compiled some ideas for you. Enjoy reading!
Fun activities and ideas for Easter
Easter is a reminder of the upcoming days of spring ahead of us. Spending your Easter weekend with your loved ones is a great way to have fun and take a well-deserved break from your busy schedule. Here are some ideas and activities to enjoy with your friends / family during this beautiful time.
1.Painting Easter Eggs
Doing creative activities and crafts will help you relax and jump out of your student routine. Painting eggs in pretty colors is not something you do often, but Easter might be your excuse to be more creative.
2. Making an Easter Egg Hunt
Just because you are not a kid anymore does not mean that you cannot enjoy a classic Easter egg hunt! Any kind of scavenger hunt would be fun to challenge your friends. Even if you do not celebrate Easter, hiding chocolates in your apartment for your friends to find is a great way to spend your afternoon.
3. Decorating an Easter Egg Tree
If you painted beautiful eggs, or bought some decorations, put them up on a tree with colorful ribbons. This will change the aesthetic of your surroundings and get you in the mood for spring. Doing this with a smaller plant in your apartment also works to make your home cute and cozy.
4. Having an Egg and Spoon Race
A good old-fashioned egg and spoon race with friends is always fun. With this activity, you can enjoy the outdoors and get your body in a bit of movement too.
5. Making Brunch Together
Having a big brunch on Easter Sunday with your family and friends is a great Easter activity to start the day. You can even make traditional Easter favorites – see our Easter food column for more!
One of the best things about the holiday season has got to be the delicious food that we all get to enjoy. Apart from the chocolate eggs, here are some easy, fun, and yummy recipes that one needs to try this Easter.
Eggs can easily be considered one of the most iconic Easter foods. Instead of opting for the classic boiled eggs, deviled eggs can be a fun alternative. You can leave the hard-boiled egg in a natural dye which will color your deviled egg. You can also spice up your traditional deviled egg stuffing with bacon or veggies.
2. Chocolate Easter Nests
Even though the holiday already involves a lot of sweet options, Easter nests are too quick to make and taste so good. The best part though is that it only requires two ingredients: chocolate and shredded wheat. You can also make them look like real nests by topping it off with some mini chocolate eggs.
3. Garlic and Herb Roasted Carrots
Carrots are a perfect side dish that compliments the holiday. Even the bunnies love it! Roasted carrots are flavorful and sweet which makes it a perfect Easter dish for everyone to enjoy. PRO TIP: this recipe keeps the carrot top on which is also waste-friendly.
4. Roasted Lamb
In the past, lamb was considered to be a lucky omen to eat during Easter. If you are vegetarian or vegan, this recipe may not be for you but keeping the old tradition alive, here is an easy classic version of roasted lamb that does not require much except some fresh herbs and lamb. You could also serve it with some garlic bread on the side!
Easter eggs in Movies and Shows
Apparently, there are not any exceptional Easter movies out there, so we have an Easter related activity for those who are not into the creative or active traditions of this holiday. Challenge your attention to detail and search for Easter eggs in movies, TV shows or even songs. In case you have no clue what we are talking about, movie Easter eggs are hidden references, clues or inside jokes that have been inconspicuously placed into TV shows, video games, and movies. They are pretty much a creator’s secret love letter to their fans, or in some cases an inside joke with fellow creators. Here are some Easter eggs we discovered to kick off your hunt… (spoiler alert)
“Catch me if you can”
In this Spielberg gem Leo DiCaprio plays Frank Abagnale, whose life was the inspiration for the movie. Playing a French policeman, the real Abagnale is one of the cops arresting Leo- the movie Abagnale. Meaning he arrests himself…
Not one of the most popular movies but this Easter egg is too good not to include. The main character Baby flips through TV channels at the beginning of the movie and repeats the seemingly unrelated dialogue from different channels in a later conversation.
Turns out it is quite easy to predict the next victim if you pay attention to oranges. Keep an eye out for drinks!
“How I met your mother”
The episode with Hurley has a few Easter eggs painted with “Lost” references. He talks about being stranded on a deserted island and shouts THOSE numbers.
Turns out it is not uncommon for authors to appear in their movies and Stephanie Meyer was no exception. Apparently being a writer gives you perks like attending a vampire wedding.
To wrap up this blog article in the best way possible here are 10 most common Easter superstitions:
- Never go swimming on Good Friday because you could turn into a fish.
- It is said that a wind that blows on Easter Day will continue to blow throughout the year.
- It is said that a shower of rain promises a good crop of grass but little hay.
- Those who fail to wear at least one new item risk having their existing clothes soiled by birds or spat upon by passing dogs. Indeed, some say one risks having one’s eyes pecked out by crows!
- Children born on Easter Day are deemed especially fortunate. Those born on Good Friday, however, are doomed to be unlucky.
- Anything to do with nails or iron tools should be avoided as must the planting of crops (iron instruments must not break the ground).
- It is said clothes washed on Good Friday means that one risks “washing away” a family member (causing the death of) or of finding one’s laundered items spotted with blood.
- Bread and buns baked on Good Friday will never go moldy; neither will eggs laid on that day spoil.
- It is not good to sleep during the Easter Sunday because the rest of the year you will be sleepy, or you will have bad luck.
- If the first person who enters your home is a man, you will have a lot of luck throughout the year.
Have an eggcellent weekend!